China Visa Application

China Visa Application


According to the Law of the People's Republic of China Concerning the Administration of Foreigners Entering and Leaving the Country, foreign tourists must apply for visas at China's foreign affairs offices, consulates or other organizations authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A group of five tourists or more can apply for a group tourist visa. This is usually handled by a travel agency organizing groups. People coming to China from countries which have visa agreements with China (such as agreements which exempt tourist groups from visas) are treated in accordance with these agreements. A passport is required for visa application; the passport shall be valid for at least 6 months beyond the duration of the tour.

If anyone wants to go to Tibet for a visit you can apply for a visa only with the consent of the Tourism Administration of the Tibet Autonomous Region or any one of its foreign representative offices.


The Ordinary Visa consists of eight sub-categories, which are respectively marked with Chinese phonetic letters L, F, Z, X, C, G, D, and J-1and J-2. L Visa: Issued to an applicant who comes to China for tourist purposes, family visiting or other personal affairs.
F Visa: Issued to an applicant who is invited to China for visit, research, lecture, business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges or short-term advanced studies or intern practice for a period of no more than six months.
Z Visa: Issued to an applicant who is to take up a job or employment in China, and the accompanying family members.
X Visa:Issued to an applicant who comes to China for the purpose of study, advanced studies or intern practice for a period of over six months.
C Visa: Issued to crewmembers on international aviation, navigation and land transportation missions and family mem bers accompanying them.
G Visa:Issued to those who transit through China.
D Visa:Issued to applicant who is to reside permanently in China.
J-1 Visa:Issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.
J-2 Visa:Issued to foreign correspondents on temporary interview missions in China.
Validity of Visa:A visa is normally valid for 3 months from the date of issuance (date of application) and on any day within this period, the visa holder may enter China.
Duration of Stay Specified in the Visa: A visa is normally issued for the holder to stay in China for 1 month which counts from the date of his/her entrance into China. When expecting to stay longer, you need to specify your request in your application form and it'll be subject to the permission of the consul in charge.

If a foreigner intends to enter into, exit from or transit through the Chinese territory, he shall apply to the above-mentioned Chinese visa authorities for a Chinese visa. For further information, please consult the nearest Chinese visa authorities. Overseas Chinese Visa Authorities, include Chinese embassies, consulates, visa offices, and the consular department of the office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China.
Important Notes:

According to the relevant international law, any sovereign state has the exclusive rights to decide whether or not to allow the foreigners to enter its territory, and accordingly to issue visa, reject visa application and cancel an issued visa according to its national law without providing the reasons.
Overseas Chinese Visa Authorities and Addresses in Canada
Residents of Canada can apply for Chinese visa, passport, document notarization and authentication at the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa and the Chinese Consulates-General in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.

Important Addresses

The addresses, phone and fax numbers, office hours of the Chinese Embassy and the Chinese Consulates-General in Canada and their respective consular service districts are as follows:
The Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Canada (Ottawa)
515 St. Patrick Street, Ottawa, Ont. K1N 5H3
Tel: (613)-7899608 Fax: (613)-7891414
Office hours: 9:00AM ¨C1:00PM (Monday to Friday, closed on holidays).
Consular Service District: Ottawa Region, Quebec, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

The Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China in Toronto
240 St. George Street Toronto, Ont. M5R 2P4
Tel: (416) 9647260 Fax: (416)324-9010
24-hour service of automatic telephone information: (416)-9648861
Office hours: 9:00AM ¨C12:00AM 1:30PM-3:30PM (Monday to Friday, closed on holidays)
Consular Service District: Ontario and Manitoba

The Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China in Vancouver
3380 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC, V6H 3K3
Tel: (604) 7365188 Fax: (604)737-0154
24-hour service of automatic telephone information: (604)-7340704/7363955
Office hours: 9:00AM ¨C1:00PM (Monday to Friday, closed on holidays)
Consular Service District: British Columbia and Yukon.The Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China in Calgary
Suite 100, 1011-6th Ave. S. W. Calgary, Alberta T2P 0W1

Tel: (403) 264-3322 Fax: (403)264-6656
Office hours: 9:00AM ¨C12:00AM (Monday to Friday, closed on holidays)
Consular Service District: Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and Nunavut


The following documents should be submitted when applying for Chinese visas:
1. Passport valid at least for 6 months from expected date of return, with at least 2 blank pages, and in good condition. For person who was born in China and applying for China Visa on a new Canadian Passport, previous Canadian Passport or Chinese Passport should be submitted too.

2. Completed visa application form, which could be obtained from the Consulate in person or be downloaded here.

3. A recent 2 X 2 passport-size / style photo.

4. Relevant documents for different types of visa:

A) for business "F" visa (single or multiple): An official invitation from the competent Chinese government agencies or organizations, or companies that are authorized to request the Consulate-General to issue visa;
B) For tourist / family-visit "L" visa: Please be noted that the Consulate does not issue individual visas for

tourists to Tibet. All applicants traveling to Tibet need to contact your local travel agency to obtain confirmation for group visa from the Tourist Bureau of Tibet at Fax: 011-86-891-34632 or 011-86-891-35588, Lhasa, Tibet, China or at Tel: 01-212- 867-0271, Fax: 01-212-599-2892 New York Office of China National Tourist Service, or from China National Tourist Office, Toronto at Tel. 416 599 6636 Fax: 416 599 6382.
C) For student "X" visa: Foreign Student Visa Application Form "JW201" or "JW202" issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education (copy needed); an enrolment letter from the receiving university in China (copy needed).
D) for employment / work "Z" visa: An Employment License issued by the Chinese Ministry of Labour or a confirmation issued by the Chinese State Bureau of Foreign Experts for applicants to be working in an academic institution; An official invitation issued by a Chinese government agency.
E) For transit "G" visa: A valid visa of the country of destination; a connecting air ticket showing transit through China.
F) For journalist's "J-1" or "J-2" Visa, please first contact the Press Officer at 604-736-5188 ext. 8006.
G) For crew members of unscheduled or chartered flights of private air-crafts or vessels, an official letter from the carrier, along with a name list of the crew members. A landing / docking permit, however, must be obtained prior to departure.

5. Other documents deemed necessary by the Visa Officer.

6. Chinese visas generally have single entry (valid only for3 months), dual entries (valid for6 months) and multiple entries (valid for 6 months or 1 year).

7. Visa Fees: As from December 19, 2011, the China Embassy Visa Office will incur a separate service charge on all China Visa Processing, the new visa fees became: Single Entry $50 + $30CAD Dual Entries $75 + $30CAD Multiple Entries (6 months) $100 + $30CAD Multiple Entries (1 year) $150 + $30CAD.
Extra Service Fees: Rush Service (same day pick-up) $50 + $86CAD
Express Service (2 to 3 working days pick-up) $35 + $61CAD
Important: The Consulate-General does not accept cash, credit card or personal check. Please make payment by debit card, money order or company check.
Please be noted that the Consulate does not accept straight forward mail-in application. Those who wish to apply for Chinese visa by mail or courier need to send the applications to their visa agents or travel agencies.
Our information provided here is for reference only, there may be changes in procedure or policy which we might fail to update in time, please refer to the websites of Chinese embassy in Canada for detail

Our China Visa Services
We provide a visa serivce for our clients and agents. Normal visa processing time is 4 working days, adding the mailing time, please allow at least 2 weeks for the whole process. Processing Fee charged by Chinese Consulate

Single Entry                           $100.40CAD including our service fee and HST
Dual Entries                           $136.60CAD including our service fee and HST
Multiple Entries (6 months)       $161.60CAD including our service fee and HST
Multiple Entries (1 year)           $211.60CAD

Our Service Fee $15CAD for single entry, $25CAD for Dual and Multiple Entries (not including postage and shipping charges). For express services, $25CAD additional.

Please check all information on the application form and documents to be submitted, make sure there is no error or omission, we would not refund the service fee if the application is incomplete and rejected by the visa office. Send all passports, documents and a cheque include the processing fee and service fee payable to GREAT CHINA TOUR and a return addressed envelop with enough postage paid, to our office
#1180 - 8580 Alexandra Road, Richmond, BC Canada V6X 4B3
Please follow with an email to :, we will return an email to you once we received the package. We will email to inform you when the visa is ready and sent back to you.